Monday, April 1, 2019

Choices





I am very fortunate to be at a point in my life where I get to make more choices about how I spend my time.  I can choose to work just part-time or not at all.  I get to choose what kind of work I want to do.  You don't always have those choices when you are younger and trying to support a family.  I am grateful for the opportunity to choose.



We had spring break two weeks ago.  I used that time as an opportunity to try my first activities at the Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden.  I assisted with a class called "Looking at Leaves".  We taught children how to use a microscope.  They made a slide with a bit of a leaf, and examined it.  It was really fun, and I learned a few things.



The next day I had a table where I taught children how to use a Chlorophyll meter to examine the amount of chlorophyll in leaves.  I had never seen an instrument like this, so it was fun to experiment with it and to show others how to use it.  It was fun to be in such a beautiful environment, and I felt very encouraged about volunteering there in the future. I am grateful that we have this beautiful garden in our community.



After helping at the Botanical Garden, I was inspired to come home and get seeds going for my own gardens.  While I have some flowers, I mostly like to grow vegetables.  So far I have two types of tomatoes planted, two kinds of peppers, both green and Anaheim, and some Kale.  I also have some marigolds started.  I am fortunate to have a big backyard.  I am really grateful that I will not be teaching summer school this year.  It will give me a lot more time to work on my garden, which hopefully means I will win the war with the weeds this year.

I saw this meme on Facebook from the Power of Positivity. 



I am going to give it a try. Day #1:


  1. I am grateful for having choices about how I spend my time.
  2. I am grateful for having the Des Moines Botanical Gardens in our community.
  3. I am grateful that I have a home with a place to grow a garden of my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment