Saturday, January 23, 2010

Photo #23: Let There Be Light


This is one of the light fixtures at Palmer's Deli on Ingersol. Jacci and I had lunch there today, on the way to the Des Moines Art Center. This light fixture is a work of art in itself, as are the salads at Palmer's. I hang out with Jacci while she does her homework. She is an art history major. Besides the fact that I love to spend time with my sister, by doing this I have also had the opportunity to go to some great places to see some fantastic art. We have been to the Nelson Atkins Museum of Art in Kansas City, Joslyn Art Museum in Omaha, and the Des Moines Art Center. Our next planned field trip is to Minneapolis.

I go to the Des Moines Art Center every year with my class. In fact we are scheduled to go this next Friday. It is nice to be able to go without supervising 24 kids. I grew up in Omaha, and I remember visiting the Joslyn Art Museum for field trips. I am still thrilled when I get a chance to go back there. I particularly enjoy more traditional paintings from the eighteenth and nineteen centuries, which Joslyn has many of. I am not a big fan of modern art, so I am often disappointed when I visit the Des Moines Art Center. It was even more frustrating this time, because two of the galleries were closed for renovations, and several pieces of art were stored away.

No comments:

Post a Comment