Saturday, January 4, 2020

20 Goals for 2020





It's a new year and a new decade, which traditionally is a time for making resolutions.  People joke about how quickly they give up on their resolutions.  For that reason, I am not making resolutions.  I am setting some goals for the new year.  My sister had the idea to make 20 goals or intentions for the year, and I liked the sound of that.



One of my goals for the year is to take time to evaluate what makes me happy and how best to spend my time.  I spend the majority of my time as an AmeriCorps reading tutor, but I also volunteer at the Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden. After this school year, I hope to spend more time working and learning  at the Botanical Garden.

During the summer I was working in the outdoor gardens helping with weeding.  I ran into problems with that around the middle of July.  I started breaking out in hives.  I think it was an allergic reaction to bug bites.  I ended up moving my work inside.  Now I help maintain the Gardener's Show House.  This place is such a gift!  I walk in on Saturday mornings, and I just start smiling. What a wonderful place to go during an Iowa winter, and there is always something new to discover.


There are so many opportunities to help and learn here at the Botanical Garden.  Sometimes I help with classes by serving as a Class Host.  About once a month, I set up a cart and have a display for Pop Up Education.  Most recently I showed people terrariums.  That is another great thing about the garden, there are lots of classes and opportunities to learn more. A couple months ago, I took a class about terrariums, and we made our own.



On Saturdays that I work in the Gardener's Show House, we get there early, before the garden is open.  It is such a blessing to walk around, soaking up the beauty in the quiet of the morning.  Two weeks ago as I was cleaning and wiping down furniture, I noticed this little toad sitting on a window frame.  At first I wasn't sure whether he was real or part of the display.  Suddenly, he leaped into the air.  He was real!  I found him again today.  This time he was sitting between the plants on a table I was cleaning.  It may not be the same toad, but I'm telling myself that he is. 

Another one of my goals for the year is to start blogging again.  I started!

My Gratitude For Today:

  • I found the little toad again when I was working in the Gardener's Show House.
  • I love the beautiful flowers and plants.
  • A new year means lots of opportunities to try and learn new things.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know there were animals at the Botanical center. What other animals are there? And what are some of the other goals you have made for the year? I look forward to the seeing the upcoming blog entries :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There aren't really supposed to be animals there, but sometimes they come in on the plants or move in from the river. I am thinking a lot about how best to spend my time. I will be writing about many of my other goals for the year. Thank you for asking.

    ReplyDelete