Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Photo #348: Apple and Onion Pot Roast


This is one of those nights that I didn't get home from work until 7:00. That's because I went from one job to the other. I really like my part-time job, but tutoring after I've taught all day, is very difficult. Tonight I told them that I would no longer work during the week. I seem to do okay when I'm just going in for two hours on a Saturday, but two hours tacked on to a full day at school is a different matter. By the time I get home, I don't even want to eat, much less cook.

I did cook last night. I made my favorite pot roast recipe in the crockpot. I love coming home from work to a hot meal, but often I am disappointed with crockpot recipes. Lots of them taste the same to me. This one is always good, and it's so easy! Give it a try!

Apple and Onion Beef Pot Roast

From Taste of Home's Slow Cooker Favorites

1 boneless beef sirloin tip roast (3 pounds) cut in half
1 cup water
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon reduced sodium soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 large tart apple, quartered
1 large onion, sliced
1 envelope of brown gravy mix

In a large nonstick skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, brown roast on all sides. Transfer to a 5 quart slow cooker. Add water to the skillet, stirring to loosen any browned bits; pour over roast. Sprinkle with seasoned salt, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder. Top with apple and onion. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until the meat is tender.

Remove roast and onion. Let stand for 15 minutes before slicing. Strain cooking liquid into a saucepan, discarding apple. Bring liquid to a boil; cook until reduced to 2 cups, about 15 minutes. Stir the brown gravy mix into cooking liquid . Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve over beef and onion. Yield 8 servings.


For a recipe like this that takes only 5 or 6 hours, I use a lamp timer to turn the crockpot on and off at the right time. This works with the old fashioned dial type crockpot, but not the digital ones.

1 comment:

  1. This recipe looks scrumptious! I agree, it is hard to find Pot Roast recipes that taste different from one another. I work with La Cense Beef, and I have gotten a few recipes off of the website. The only difference is they are Grass Fed Beef Pot Roast Recipes. They are delicious so don’t let that scare you. Grass Fed Beef has an amazing flavor and it is healthier for you to eat than traditional grain fed beef. You should try them, you might like them.

    ReplyDelete