Sunday, August 1, 2010

Photo #213: Thomas Mitchell Park



This weekend I visited Thomas Mitchell Park. At 175 acres, this park is much smaller than Yellow Banks. It is located at 10509 NE 46 Avenue, outside Mitchellville, Iowa. This park is also managed by Polk County Conservation and it is much more familiar to me. Our Fourth Graders used to come here for a fall field trip each year, so I have looked for wildlife in the pond and hiked the trails, as well as supervised kids on the playground.



The tree sculpture is new. I don't remember that. I'm thinking this is a Morell Mushroom, but I could be wrong.



This park has nice picnic shelters, and some hiking trails. It has a campground with electric hookups and modern restrooms. There is a tenting area near the creek that runs through the park. It is green and shaded, but it is also close to the road. If you're looking for quiet and a more woodsy feel, Yellow Banks Park is probably a better choice. I do like the ambiance of the red foot bridge.



Thomas Mitchell Park is more of a groomed park than Yellow Banks. It is great for picnics and camping. There are some hiking trails, and a pond, but no fishing. It is a wonderful place to go, and it's just a short drive away.

No comments:

Post a Comment