Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Photo #222: New Bulletin Boards


Preparation for going back to school has begun. I already have the desks arranged. Tomorrow I'm going into school to put up bulletin boards, attach name tags to the desks with clear contact paper, and hook up the computers.

When I was first teaching, I created some elaborate bulletin boards, but I haven't done much of that during the past few years. Mostly I've just slapped up some posters or displayed student work.

Back in June I attended a literacy PD. The presenter talked about focusing on three important vocabulary words after you have taught the vocabulary for each story. These words should continue to be displayed on the word wall. She called this "Three Dogs On a Porch." When I stopped by school a few weeks ago, my principal told me that our school district wants everyone to do this. It is a "non-negotiable."

Last week, when I was in my classroom, I was trying to figure out where I was going to put this word wall. I decided to use the three small bulletin boards at the back of the room. Then I got the idea to turn the bulletin boards into a porch, and put three dogs on it. The vocabulary words will go on dog bones. So I have been working to draw the dogs and create the parts for the porch. I got out my scrapbooking books and materials, and I've been have some fun with it. Here is my work in progress. If it all comes together tomorrow, I will photograph the finished product.

No comments:

Post a Comment