Sunday, August 29, 2010

Photo #241: Sunday Breakfast


This morning, I turned on the oven for the first time in a long time. I have hardly cooked at all this summer. Besides the fact that it has been too hot, after parenting for all these years, cooking just for me is a very different experience. I decided to make my Denver Omelet Pie. This is a breakfast casserole that I used to make frequently. Not only is it delicious for the first meal, the leftovers are great warmed up in the microwave. I really enjoy a nice leisurely breakfast on a Sunday morning, with a pot of my favorite Absolute Almond tea, buttered toast, and the Denver Omelet Pie. It's a great way to start the week.

Here is my recipe. It is adapted from a recipe from Taste of Home's, Quick Cooking Magazine.

Denver Omelet Pie

Ingredients
• 6 eggs or 2 cups of Egg Beaters or other egg substitute
• 1/2 cup chopped onion
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/8 teaspoon pepper
• 3 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
• 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
• 1/2 cup diced fully cooked ham
• 1/2 cup chopped green pepper

Directions
In a large bowl, beat the eggs, salt and pepper. Stir in the potatoes, cheese, ham, onion, and green pepper. Pour into a greased 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 350° for 4 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment