Saturday, July 31, 2010

Photo #212: Yellow Banks Park



I decided to go on a little adventure today and check out the campgrounds at some nearby parks. Even though I was born here, and moved back here almost thirty years ago, I was not aware of Yellow Banks. I had heard it mentioned, but I was under the impression that it was father away, when in fact, it is located in Runnells, just a few miles from here. Located high above the Des Moines River, it covers 517 acres, and the view was breath-taking. The above view was shot from the tent area. This tenting area is rustic, without flush toilets, but it's just a short walk to the modern restrooms in the trailer area. I liked the wooded tenting area.



It was fairly flat, with ample space between campsites. The campsites had great fire pits, some of which are even surrounded by benches.



Yellow Banks is just one of the five parks that are part of Polk County Conservation. You can learn more about these parks by visiting their website at Polk County Conservation. We are so lucky to have such beautiful parks in and around the city of Des Moines. To give you an idea of how close it is to home, I stopped in the restroom in the trailer area. While I was washing my hands, I heard a girl say to her mom, "Mom, I think Ms. Day is here." It was one of our Phillips kids spending the weekend camping. Yep! Teachers have to be on their good behavior at all times.


No comments:

Post a Comment