Thursday, July 1, 2010

Photo #182: The Anderson Erickson Cow & Calf


I was getting ready to sign off and go to sleep, when I realized that I had not posted my photo for today, so here it is. You cannot live on the east side of Des Moines and have a photo blog without including a picture of the Anderson Erickson Cow and Calf. The Anderson Erickson Dairy is known for two things: the best cottage cheese in the world, and the AE Cow and Calf that stand in front of the dairy. It is a landmark in this part of town.

The cow has been there as long as I can remember, and the calf was added later. Several years ago someone cownapped the not so little calf. They removed it from the base, damaging it in the process. It was recovered a few days later.

The AE Cow and Calf may seem hokey to some people, but they make me smile. They are very appropriately located at the corner of University and Hubbell. After all, just a mile down the road are the Iowa State Fair Grounds.

1 comment:

  1. My grandfather drove the truck that carried the orginal cow into town. As the story goes he was suprised by how much of the town showed up for the arrival of this unique landmark.

    ReplyDelete