Monday, May 3, 2010

Photo #123: Now That's Ugly!


The Daily Shoot for Today: Make a composition of a wall and what is against it: art, shelves, etc. Consider the rule of thirds and watch your light.

My composition is just the wall. This is the wall in my upstairs hall. I have lived in this house about 9 years, and it has a few oddities. The people who owned it before covered the walls with contact paper, anyway I don't think Rubbermaid makes wallpaper. It might have been an easy fix, but contact paper does not stand up over time, and after a while it just starts letting go. That has been true of the blue striped paper in the hall. There was this loose place where the paper was sticking out at the top of the stairs. I've had this impulse to just grab hold and rip. I was able to control the urge until a couple weeks ago. The one good thing about contact paper used as wallpaper is that it's easy to remove. Underneath the blue stripe is this even more hideous paper. I always wonder how that ugly paper could have looked good to someone, or does the affect of the paper covering it, somehow make it even uglier. This lovely stuff is real wallpaper, and it's going to take some work to get it off there. But now I am committed. Removing the paper and painting the hall will be one of my many summer projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment