Thursday, March 25, 2010

Photo #84: The Airport


I left school at noon today so I could take my mom to the airport. She is flying back to Casa Grande today to spend another month, with the hope that Iowa will be much warmer when she comes back. I know she is also anxious to get back to her little dog, Shelby, who had to stay in Arizona when Mom flew home to arrange for Loren's funeral. When I stopped to pick her up, she handed me a list of contacts with the first line: If the plane crashes. . . I'm glad my mom is organized, but that unnerved me a bit. I assume she is on the ground in Phoenix by now, and I have not heard any reports of plane crashes. So now I can breathe a little easier.

The note ended with .... This is the first time I have had to leave word about where I would be in case something happened to me. My mom has always been an extraordinarily strong person. This is a reminder of what a difficult time she is going through after the death of her companion of thirteen years. I love my mom. I am so lucky to have her.

It was a beautiful afternoon! Bright and sunshiny, cool and crisp, and very windy. It felt great to be away from school on a weekday afternoon. I stopped by Gray's Lake, part of which is still closed, since the large parking lots are currently part of the lake. I managed to get home early enough to actually cook dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment