Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Photo #83: The Walking Track


The snow and ice are mostly gone, and we can finally get back out to the walking track. We were able to build this track last year. Our PTA provided half of the money, and the other half came from Hy Vee. We built the track because the Iowa legislature passed a law requiring that students have 25 minutes of physical activity per day. Since my building has PE only once a week, we weren't sure how we would manage to accomplish this. Our kids walk for ten minutes before we go to lunch, and then they have 15 minutes of recess following lunch.

I wasn't sure how I would feel about this, but it has turned out to be a plus. It gives kids a chance to let off some steam before going to lunch. That has lead to less problems in the lunchroom. Not only are we all getting some exercise, it is also an opportunity to relax and socialize. As a teacher, it gives me some time to chat with the kids. I can tell you a lot about hunting and sports that I didn't know before this year. During the winter, we walked in the gym. That was pretty chaotic, so it is really great to get back out in the fresh air.

No comments:

Post a Comment