Sunday, June 27, 2010

Photo #178: Art Fest Midwest, "The Other Art Show"




There is a lot going on in Des Moines this weekend. The USA Outdoor Track and Field Championships are being held at Drake University, and our hometown girl, Lolo Jones, won the 100 meter hurdles.

While the Des Moines Arts Festival, which is held downtown, has artists from across the country, there is also another art show going on this weekend. Art Fest Midwest is primarily made up of artists from the Midwest. This art show bills itself as "The Other Art Show" and it is held at the Varied Industries Building at the State Fair Grounds. I always go to this art show, because I want to support Iowa and other Midwest artists, who I felt were pushed out of the Des Moines Arts Festival, in order to transform it into a nationally acclaimed art show. I like to see what local people are doing. Other drawing points for me are that there are works at this art show that are actually within my price range. I like to buy small pieces of garden art. Best of all, this art show is held in the Varied Industries Building, which is air conditioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment