Monday, June 21, 2010

Photo #172: The View


I moved into this house nine years ago, this week. During that whole time I have struggled with the flower bed that runs across the back of the lot. The first two years I worked hard to get the grass out and to plant perennials, many of which I started from seed. There are remnants of some of these plants, but the flower bed is once again overgrown with grass, brush, and weeds. I like my house and the idea of moving into a townhouse doesn't really appeal to me, so I am trying to figure out some ways to make the yard work low maintenance. My sister told me about these rubber mulch mats. Short of installing astro-turf for the whole yard, I think these mats could be a good thing. I don't see how grass could grow up through these. What do you think? Do you think it would work?

The house behind mine is a rental property and the only positive thing about the grass and brush that grow back there, is that they help to cover up the cars and junk that the neighbor behind has parked next to my fence. This photo is the view from my backyard. I've been thinking about putting some evergreens back there, and then my sister suggested that I consider putting in some ornamental grass. Some of that gets very tall, and would hopefully block this view. I went to Lowe's to check it out, and there are some very interesting varieties. I just might give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment