Monday, March 13, 2017

Garden Dreams



It is spring break!  We had temperatures in the sixties and seventies during February and early March.  Naively, I had imagined working in the garden sometime this week.  I have been reading about raised bed gardening, and have been collecting five hole brick to build my first bed.  It is piled by the backyard fence, just waiting.  The ground is covered with snow, so it won't be this week.

I had expected to have tomato and pepper seeds started by now.  I usually get them going by this time of year.  Other years I have just picked up seeds at Lowe's or Menards.  This year, however, I decided to order seeds from Henry Fields.  I placed the order on February 2nd.  I have contacted them twice, and still no seeds.

The best I can do is my Aerogarden.  I started two pods of cherry tomatoes a few weeks ago, and there are some little baby tomatoes on there.  In the meantime, I guess I will just keep reading gardening books, and dreaming of the time of year when I can get the garden going.  Those garden dreams are part of the fun of gardening.

If you are interested in reading about raised bed gardening, I recommend Raised Bed Revolution by Tara Nolan.  You can find it here.




2 comments:

  1. I can't say I'm sad about the weather as I prefer to have a winter where it snows more than a few times in the whole season but I hope your tomato crop thrives. Are you going to be growing any other veggies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the seed order ever gets here, I am growing a wider variety this year. That's why I want to build the raised beds. I am hoping I get to feast on the green beans, lettuce, and other things before the bunnies do this year.

      Delete