Thursday, January 6, 2011

Photo #6/365: Is This Pencil a Distraction?


I have a reputation for being a strict teacher, and I do have high expectations. The truth is, I don't like to make more rules than I have to, so I ignore as much as I can. Such was the case with the Silly Bandz craze this past fall. When the Bandz did start to cause some problems, they were banned by the school before I had to do it. But there is always something unexpected in teaching.

We were practicing our spelling today when I noticed this student, hard at work with her giant pencil. It was almost bigger than she is. I opted for ignoring it. I did ask her to use a normal pencil for her reading test, so she wouldn't be distracted. She was happy and it didn't cause any problem, though her closest neighbor may be in some danger of being wacked by it. I wonder if it will be back tomorrow?

2 comments:

  1. I confess to buying pens of that size to loan to high school students who have forgotten theirs. I can spot it and they remember to return it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is hilarious! Did she bring it back out today?

    ReplyDelete