Sunday, February 26, 2017

My Church



I am so grateful for my church.  I have been a member of Urbandale United Church of Christ for about twenty years. That includes most of the past 7 years when I was absent, with the exception of a few Christmas Eve services.  I had gotten selfish with my time and drifted away, until this past summer when I began attending again.  I was feeling a void in my life, and the inspiring messages of Pastor Dave and our members have certainly filled that.

I was raised as a Disciple of Christ, and attended Highland Park Christian Church for many years.  It was my daughter, Lisa, who led me to Urbandale UCC.  She began attending after she graduated from college.  My son, Michael, and I would join her on Sundays that she was participating in presenting part of the service.  I remember her suggesting that I transfer my membership, and I remember my response, "I don't think so!"

Within a year, I did join.  I love this church because it is a thinking church.  I love this church because it is an open and affirming church.  I love this church because it is made up of people who believe in kindness and love.  I love this church because it is open to anyone who wants to be part of it.

In these troubled times, I am thankful to listen to a sermon that reminds me that there is hope and love in this world.  I am thankful to be reminded that Jesus never said it would be easy, but we must stand up for what is right.  Thank you Pastor David Sickelka!  Thank you, fellow members of United Church of Christ!  I am thankful to be back, and I am very grateful to be part of this congregation.

No comments:

Post a Comment