Sunday, June 24, 2012

Art Fest Midwest for 2012


There is a lot going on in Des Moines this weekend.  The Des Moines Art Festival is going on downtown by the Sculpture Garden.  Some years I go to that, but I always try to get to the other art show.  That's Art Fest Midwest. The advantage of Art Fest Midwest is that it is inside the Varied Industries Building at the Iowa State Fairgrounds, which is air conditioned.  We are supposed to reach 90 today, so that is a big consideration.  It is also on my side of town, so it's easy to get to.  An even bigger issue for me is that most of the artists at Art Fest Midwest are, as the name suggests, artists from the Midwest, including many local artists.  Also, I can usually find some small item at this show, that I can actually afford.  Most of the time I buy one of the steel flowers for yard art, but this year I bought a yarn bowl.  What a clever idea, and I really "need" more knitting paraphernalia.  I like functional art, things I can use in daily life, but are beautiful. It made for a fun afternoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment