Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Photo #193/365: Cherry Walnut Scones



When I was visiting my daughter over the weekend, her boyfriend, Colin baked scones for us. They were delicious, and it really inspired me to bake some myself, now that I'm back home. I have a package of dried cherries in the cabinet. They're delicious and I've been trying the think of some ways to use them. I definitely do not want them to go to waste.

To make my scones I adapted a recipe for cream scones that I found a while ago on JoyofBaking.com. I had never actually gotten around to making that recipe, so I had no idea how my adaptation would come out. Well I'm here to tell you that these are good!

Cherry Walnut Scones

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/4 cup dried cherries
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup whipping cream or milk (I used Silk Vanilla Almond milk)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and place the rack in the middle of the oven. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray.  In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut the butter into small pieces and blend into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or two knives. The mixture should look like coarse crumbs. Add the dried cherries and chopped nuts. Stir to distribute throughout the dough. In a small measuring cup combine the milk, beaten egg and vanilla. Add this mixture to the flour mixture. Stir just until combined. Do not over mix.

Knead dough gently on a lightly floured surface. Roll or pat the dough into a circle that is about 7 inches round. Then, cut into about 6-8 wedges or use a 2 1/2 inch round cookie cutter. Place the wedges on the prepared cookie sheet, spacing a few inches apart. Brush the tops of the scones with a little cream. (I left this step out, but I think I'll try it next time.)This helps to brown the tops of the scones during baking. Lightly sprinkle the tops of the scones with granulated sugar.

Bake for about 15 - 18 minutes or until nicely browned and a toothpick inserted into the center of a scone comes out clean. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool. These scones freeze very well. (If they last that long.)

No comments:

Post a Comment